GS2: International Relations
- PM proposes first meeting of BRICS Water Ministers in India (PIB) Speaking on the occasion, Prime Minister said that the theme of this summit - "Economic growth for an innovative future” is very apt. He said that Innovation has become the basis of our development.
- BRICS Summit: What it means for India in the global order (IE) As Prime Minister Narendra Modi attends the 11th BRICS Summit in Brasilia, his sixth since he assumed office in 2014, it will be the beginning of what New Delhi sees as the “second cycle” of BRICS.
- India and China to hold border talks (TH) The next round was agreed upon after the Modi-Xi meeting in Brazil.
- ‘Tiger Triumph’ gets off to a grand start (TH) The maiden edition of the Tri-Services India-US Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) Amphibious Exercise named Tiger Triumph got off to a…
GS 2: Social issues
- India is home to 77 million diabetics (TH) The country has to focus on multi-dimensional approaches, and prevention activities.
- Sabarimala case: larger Bench to decide role of courts in religion (TH) Justices Chandrachud and Nariman deliver a dissenting judgment. A majority judgment delivered by a five-judge Bench led by Chief Justice of India (CJI) Ranjan Gogoi on Thursday kept a final decision on the Sabarimala
- Sabarimala order: What is the ‘essentiality’ test in religious practice? (IE) The court held that the term "religion" will cover all rituals and practices "integral" to a religion, and took upon itself the responsibility of determining the essential and non-essential practices of a religion.
- Parliament likely to exert greater scrutiny over functioning of RBI (Mint) The parliamentary panel is proposing to examine the quality of supervision and oversight of financial institutions, inflation targeting guidelines and monetary transmission, and a performance appraisal of the banking system
- "Has SC Questioned Its Own Aadhaar Ruling Of Last Year? (ToI) SC’s tribunal ruling could reopen Aadhaar ‘money bill’ case
- What is money bill’s scope, ambit? SC asks a 7-judge bench to decide (ToI)" The court’s view will be important as it can also reflect on the role of the presiding officer of Lok Sabha or an assembly
GS3- Indian Economy
- Tobacco Board Receives 2019 Golden Leaf Award India is the world's fourth largest producer of FCV tobacco. About 88,000 FCV tobacco farmers and their families in the states of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka are dependent on this crop for their livelihood.
- ‘Terror batters world economy’ (TH) Terror has emerged as the biggest threat to peace and prosperity, the Prime Minister says.
- Telecom majors feel sting of top court’s verdict on AGR(TH) Vodafone Idea's reported net loss is the largest in Indian corporate history.
GS 3: Cybersecurity
- India’s requests for Facebook user data rising sharply (TH) The social media company got 22,684 official queries for information, second only to the U.S., in 2019