GS1: Modern Indian History- personalities
- Engineering is a way of thinking! (National Engineers’ day) (IE) Visvesvaraya was not only known for his contributions in the field of engineering but was also called the “ precursor of economic planning in India”, according to the Institution of Engineers India (IEI). It stated that he is best known for his discourse “Planned Economy for India and Reconstructing India” which is the first of its kind to describe the country’s planning efforts.
- Urban employment as the focal point(TH) While the ‘Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan’ launched in June (aimed to provide livelihood opportunities in rural India) could be an immediate relief, the ₹50,000-crore employment scheme cannot be a substitute for decent urban jobs. Given the structure of the economy and demographic profile, it is important to focus on reducing the vulnerabilities of urban informal jobs in the long run.
- The pandemic has necessitated us to reconsider the 42?volution assigned in the 2020-21 report: N.K. Singh(TH) The Fifteenth Finance Commission (FFC) will submit its report containing recommendations on the sharing of tax revenues between the Centre and States for the period 2021-22 to 2025-26 to the President on October 31.
GS3: Issues related to agriculture
- Agriculture reform Bills introduced amidst Opposition, farmers’ protests(TH) The proposed legislations will replace the ordinances promulgated during the lockdown and will bring about changes to the marketing and storage of farm produce and agri commodities outside registered markets, as well as the facilitation of contract farming.
GS3: Science and Tech
- 30% recovered COVID-19 patients have no antibodies: govt. survey(TH) No need to panic as memory cells will trigger immune response in most cases’
- Reading life signature on Venus(IE) The discovery of phosphine in the atmosphere of Venus has triggered excitement as a possible sign of life on that planet. What is the gas, what is its connection with life, and how significant is the discovery?
- Karnataka to seek nod for Mekedatu project(TH) The Minister on Monday visited Ontigondlu, the proposed reservoir site, in the midst of the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary. Mr. Jarkiholi said 5,051 hectares of forests would be submerged and they included 3,181 hectares in the sanctuary and 1,870 hectares in the reserve forest.
- CHINA WATCHING (IE)Under the Information Technology Rules, 2011, under the IT Act, 2000, personal data is “any information regarding a natural person, which either directly or indirectly, in combination with other information available or likely to be available… is capable of identifying such person.” This, however, does not include information available freely or accessible in the public domain.
- Status of Mahanadi Tribunal As per Section 5(2) of Inter-State River Water Disputes Act, 1956 (as amended) “The Tribunal shall investigate the matters referred to it and forward to the Central Government a report setting out the facts as found by it and giving its decision on the matters referred to it within a period of three years (emphasis added).