GS2 : Governance
- Explained: What is the ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ system announced by the Finance Minister?(IE) According to Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, the 'One Nation One Ration Card' system will enable migrant workers and their family members to access PDS benefits from any Fair Price Shop in the country.
- Finance Minister announces short term and long-term measures for supporting the poor, including migrants, farmers, tiny businesses and street vendors(PIB); For the migrant labour, additional food grain to all the States/UTs at the rate of 5 kg per migrant labourer and 1 kg Chana per family per month for two months i.e. May and June, 2020 free of cost shall be allocated.
- Migrant workers to get free foodgrains(TH) However, economists said this intervention was too little, too late, and that the free foodgrain provision should have been universalised to deal with widespread distress.
- Stimulus for small businesses, vendors, farmers(TH) Affordable rental housing for urban poor and credit for middle-class housing part of package announced by Sitharaman
- Explained: New rules governing rights issues, and implications for shareholders(IE) Capital markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has come out with guidelines that allow listed companies to serve the letter of offer, application form, and other offer material electronically. What changes for a share holder?
- ‘Invest in India’ is at the heart of self-reliance(Mint) Recently, the Prime Minister outlined a ₹20 trillion stimulus package, along with a quantum leap in reforms. Mint explains self-sufficiency and how it is different from the liberalization trade policy.
- WEF’s global Energy Transition index Sweden tops the overall ETI ranking for the third consecutive year as the country most ready to transition to clean energy, followed by Switzerland and Finland.
- Deforestation rate globally declined between 2015 and 2020: FAO report Among the world’s regions, Africa had the largest annual rate of net forest loss in 2010–2020, at 3.9 mha, followed by South America, at 2.6 mha.
- Keeping Asia-Pacific afloat(TH) The marine environment in the region is getting strained, jeopardising lives and livelihoods.
GS3: Science & Technology
- Dr Harsh Vardhan dedicates COBAS 6800 testing machine to the nation(PIB) As the machine requires a minimum BSL2+ containment level for testing, it cannot be placed at just any facility. COBAS 6800 can also detect other pathogens like Viral Hepatitis B & C, HIV, MTb (both rifampicin and isoniazide resistance), Papilloma, CMV, Chlamydia, Neiserreia etc.
- A novel tool to help gain deeper insight into Parkinson’s disease(PIB) It is believed that an aggregation of a protein called alpha synuclein (ASyn) plays a crucial role in the pathology of the disease.