Updated on 14 November, 2019
GS 2: Governance
- ‘Office of Chief Justice of India comes under RTI Act’ (TH) "Transparency and accountability should go hand in hand," the main judgment authored by Justice Sanjeev Khanna and supported by Chief Justice Gogoi and Justice Deepak Gupta said.
- Collegium is a victim of its own birth pangs, says judge (TH) Justice Chandrachud says citizens lack information about how judges are appointed.
- On Karnataka rebel MLAs (TH) Resignation does not nullify prior disqualification of MLAs’ (TH) In Karnataka MLAs’ case, SC clarifies law on interplay between resignation, disqualification
- Amended Finance Act: SC strikes down rules on tribunal postings (TH) Centre’s ‘control’ of functioning of tribunals would affect judicial independence, it says
GS 2: International Relations
- Indo-Uzbekistan Joint Field Training exercise (FTX)-2019 Exercise Dustlik-2019 (PIB) The inaugural Indo-Uzbekistan Joint Field Training Exercise (FTX)-2019, Exercise DUSTLIK-2019 culminated on 13 November 2019 after 10 days of joint training with Uzbekistan Army.
GS 3: Indian Economy
- Explained: What are negative interest rates and how do they work? (IE) A negative interest means the instead of the bank paying you money to keep in the savings account, you pay the bank to do so. It also means that anyone can borrow money from the bank and pay back less than what they borrowed.
- Global supply chains major user of child labour: UN report When we get our latest electronic gadget delivered at our doorstep, we hardly realise it could have been tainted with child labour. Similar with our food produce. Though a few label child labour use, most don’t.
- They save people from cyclones, but who is saving the Sunderbans mangroves? (TH) Experts point at constant degradation of the mangrove forests
GS 3: Environment
- Ten zero-waste cities: Bandung’s slow but steady drive to reduce its trash (DTE) The attempts by Indonesia’s third-largest city, Bandung, to solve its waste problem using the ‘zero-waste model’ are praiseworthy.
India failed to benefit from free trade agreements with Asean: Report (DTE) India failed to benefit from free trade agreements (FTAs) with the Association of South East Asian Nations (Asean), a recent report has stated.