- Explained: The language of the Tangams, with just 253 speakers(IE) The Tangams are a little-known community within the larger Adi tribe of Arunachal Pradesh and reside in the hamlet of Kugging in Upper Siang district’s Paindem circle.
- SC gives ex royals right to manage deity’s property The HC had concluded that after the definition of ‘Ruler’ in Article 366 (22) of the Constitution of India was amended by the Constitution (Twenty Sixth Amendment) Act, 1971, by which privy purses were abolished, the successor to erstwhile royals could not claim to be in control or management of the temple.
- HC issues notices to EC, YSRCP on use of name(TH) It is hearing a writ petition filed by Anna YSR Congress Party president S. Mahabub Basha for de-recognition of the ruling party in Andhra Pradesh under Election Symbols (Reservation and Allotment) Order of 1968.
- Commission and omission(IE) Law reform is ordinarily within the mandate of the Union Ministry of Law and historically, various law commissions have been set up to recommend law reforms. Apart from government servants, the commission consists of area experts, lawyers and is given a specific mandate, such as removal of obsolete laws or identification of law that obstructs economic progress.
- Enabling people to govern themselves(TH) At a meeting of IAS officers in Shimla with the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG), sometime in 2013, to understand why government schemes were not producing enough benefits for people on the ground, an officer presented a list of over 300 schemes that were operational in her district. The citizens did not know how many schemes there were and what they were entitled to.
GS2: International Relations
- Iran drops India from Chabahar rail project, cites funding delay(TH) The development comes as China finalises a massive 25-year, $400 billion strategic partnership deal with Iran, which could cloud India’s plans.
- Abundant liquidity kept short term rates soft: RBI bulletin(TH) Targeted liquidity provision through LTROs and Targeted Long Term Repo Operations (TLTROs) brought down financing costs in the corporate bond market to decadal lows, eased the access of non-AAA rated entities and led to record primary issuances.
- Virus crisis has compounded vulnerabilities faced by poor(Mint) The covid-19 crisis has compounded the vulnerabilities faced by migrants and the urban poor and made the elderly more vulnerable to health shocks, said the India Voluntary National Review (VNR) 2020 report released by NITI Aayog
- NITI Aayog presents India’s second Voluntary National Review at UN’s High-Level Political Forum(PIB) NITI Aayog has the mandate of overseeing the adoption and monitoring of SDGs at the national and sub-national level. The India VNR 2020 represents NITI Aayog’s efforts in embodying the whole-of-society approach and its commitment towards localisation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Das warns of higher NPAs, bank capital erosion(TH) Policy action for the medium-term would require a careful assessment of how the crisis unfolds. Building buffers and raising capital will be crucial not only to ensure credit flow but also to build resilience in the financial system.
GS3: Science & Technology
- IIT-M research inches closer to cancer cure(TH) Reactive Oxygen Species are molecules generated in the body during normal functioning and associated with many metabolic processes.” It is important to regulate these species as, if they exceed a certain limit, they can produce oxidate stress and damage the cells. This could result in inflammation and various diseases