- Inaction is expensive Courts have passed strictures against hoarders and black marketeers. Across the country, there have been arrests for diversion, hoarding and black-marketing of remdesivir, oximeters and oxygen cylinders.
- Forget ‘play’, the machine needs to be scrapped The Centre must revisit its vaccine policy by procuring 100% doses which can then be equitably disbursed to States
- How waze was dismissed without departmental probe (About Art 311) Sachin Waze was dismissed from service by Mumbai Police Commissioner under Article 311 (2) (b) without a departmental enquiry. What is the process of a departmental enquiry, and can the dismissal be challenged?
GS2: International Relations
- Operation Samudra Setu II - INS Tarkash brings medical oxygen consignment from Qatar As part of ongoing COVID relief Operation 'Samudra Setu II’ launched by Indian Navy, INS Tarkash, with two Liquid Medical Oxygen (LMO) filled (20 MT each) cryogenic containers and 230 Oxygen cylinders embarked, arrived at Mumbai on 12 May 21.
- Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2021-22 The Bonds will be sold through Scheduled Commercial banks (except Small Finance Banks and Payment Banks), Stock Holding Corporation of India Limited (SHCIL),designated post offices, and recognised stock exchanges viz., National Stock Exchange of India Limited and Bombay Stock Exchange Limited.
- Inflation eases to 4.29%; base lift IIP / Low base effect pushes up IIP; Cheaper food cools inflation Manufacturing sector output surged 25.8 per cent in March 2021, while mining output rose 6.1 per cent and power generation increased by 22.5 per cent in March.
- Government approves PLI plans for ACC batteries / PLI scheme for ACC battery storage get cabinet nod The plan is to achieve Advanced Chemistry Cell manufacturing capacity of 50GWh and niche ACC capacity of 5GWh
GS3: Agriculture marketing issues
- Agri exports rose 17.5% in 2020-21, but rural surge cloud over repeat The farm sector’s standout export performance, the best since the $43.25 billion of 2013-14, was thanks to a good monsoon, agriculture production being relatively unaffected by the Covid-19-induced lockdown, and surging global commodity prices.
GS3: Disaster Management
- A bullet train to hunger The pandemic has highlighted the importance of expanding social security nets
GS3: Science and Technology
- How Israel iron dome intercepts rockets Videos on social media showed rockets fired from Gaza being intercepted by the Israeli Iron Dome air defence system. It appeared that the rockets were hitting an invisible shield.