- Samples from Lonar lake sent for testing(TH) Some experts have attributed the change to the mixing of dunaliella algae with halo bacteria, forming a beta carotine pigment and turning the water pink.
- NHAI becomes first construction sector organization to go ‘Fully Digital(PIB) NHAI has a history of having large number of arbitration cases pending with huge amount of claims and counter claims. These disputes can be minimized as the Data Lake software has provisions to keep track and check on all these constraints and will ensure work is carried out within the deadlines in a transparent manner. As all processes are going to be portal-based, decision-making is going to be faster and will eventually diminish chances of litigation in future.
- Reserves surge $8.2 bn in a week, exceed $500 bn for the first time Currency dealers said the sharp increase was due to gains from both currency revaluation (as the dollar depreciated against major currencies) and dollar mop-up through intervention by the central bank. India now has reserves to meet an import cover of about 14 months.
- Government puts off decision on States’ GST dues till July(TH) Given the shortfall in revenue, the council will meet again in July to discuss the issue of compensation cess and dues to States, and the possibility of borrowing money from the market to meet these dues.
- "RBI panel to review private bank norms(TH) The group’s terms of reference include reviewing eligibility criteria for applying for a banking licence and regulations relating to holding company structure. It will also suggest the manner of migrating all banks to a uniform regulation in the matter, including providing a transition path.
- RBI to review private banks’ ownership & control norms(IE) As per the RBI, the panel will examine and review the eligibility criteria for individuals/ entities to apply for banking license and make recommendations on all related issues.
- AGR issue: Supreme Court made the right call(TH) There is ambiguity in the policy which was written. Even government bodies like BSNL, MTNL are affected along with the private operators. [Reliance] Jio is not affected, since it happened prior to 2016. So, 100% of [the] industry is affected,”
GS3: Science & Technology
- CM unveils Mumbai’s new flood warning system, calls it a boon (IE) I-FLOWS will be a guiding tool for the Greater Mumbai Municipal Corporation for swift decision-making in case of extremely heavy rainfall and flood-like situation in any part of Mumbai and its suburbs.
- DST institutes among top 30 Indian Institutions in Nature Index 2020(PIB) These are the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS), Kolkata at 7th position, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore at 14th position and S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata at 30th position.
- Coro-robot’ to reduce physical contact with COVID-19 patients Once configured, the robot will be able to perform its duties fully autonomously. Carrying a payload of up to 25kg, the robot is capable of achieving a maximum speed of 1m per sec.