- Explained: Trump is heading for second impeachment. Here’s how it could play out (IE) A misconception about impeachment is that it refers to the removal of a president from office. In fact, impeachment refers only to the House of Representatives, the lower chamber of Congress, bringing charges that a president engaged in a “high crime or misdemeanor” – similar to an indictment in a criminal case.
- ‘No record of consultations on farm laws’(TH) The Union Agriculture Ministry could not provide any record of pre-legislative consultations on the three farm reform laws, according to a response given by it to a query under the Right to Information Act.
International Relations: GS2
- Explained: India at UN high table (IE) India is back as a non-permanent member on the United Nations Security Council. A look at its seven previous terms, and what its agenda will be amid events concerning China, Pakistan and the US
- ₹ 1364 crore given to wrong beneficiaries of PM-Kisan (TH) PM-KISAN payments worth ₹1,364 crore have been wrongly made to more than 20 lakh ineligible beneficiaries and income tax payer farmers, according to information provided by the Agriculture Ministry in response to an RTI request from activist Venkatesh Nayak.
- Explained Ideas: What is a Kshaped economic recovery and what are its implications? (IE) A K-shaped recovery happens when different sections of an economy recover at starkly different rates.
- Planning an exit out of the easy money regime (TH) The RBI’s main challenge would be in managing the tension between restraining inflation and supporting recovery
Science & Technology: GS3
- Explained: A missing supermassive black hole that has left astronomers baffled (IE) Scientists have been looking for the black hole using NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory and Hubble Space Telescope, and have so far found no evidence that it is anywhere to be found.
- "ISRO to adopt 100 Atal Tinkering Labs across the country for mentorship and promoting STEM and Space Education An Atal Tinkering Lab provides a makerspace where young minds can give shape to their ideas through hands on do-it-yourself mode and learn innovation skills. To foster entrepreneurship and innovation, Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog has established over seven thousand Atal Tinkering Labs across the country.
Internal Security: GS3
- "INDIAN NAVY TO COORDINATE SECOND EDITION OF LARGEST COASTAL DEFENCE EXERCISE – SEA VIGIL 21 (PIB)" The second edition of the biennial pan-India coastal defence exercise ‘Sea Vigil-21’ will be conducted on 12-13 January 2021. The exercise, inaugural edition of which was conducted in January 2019; will be undertaken along the entire 7516 km coastline and Exclusive Economic Zone of India and will involve all the 13 coastal States and Union Territories along with other maritime stakeholders, including the fishing and coastal communities. The exercise is being coordinated by the Indian Navy. The entire coastal security set up was reorganised after the 26/11 Terror attack at Mumbai which was launched via the sea route.
- "Best managed protected areas in the country to be ranked and awarded every year: Shri Prakash Javadekar (PIB)" Management Effectiveness Evaluation (MEE) of Protected Areas (PAs) has emerged as a key tool for PA managers and is increasingly being used by governments and international bodies to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the protected area management systems.