- Home Ministry amends FCRA rules (TH) Norms relaxed for farmer, student, religious and other groups not involved in ‘active politics’.
GS2: International Relations
- World Health Assembly to adopt resolution to strengthen preparedness for health emergencies (DTE) IHR 2005 provides a legal framework that defines countries’ rights and obligations in handling public health events and emergencies that have the potential to cross borders. This is legally binding on all members of the WHO. Despite this, there are recurrent cases of trans-border spread of diseases. The COVID-19 pandemic, which spread from China, is a good example of how stricter regulations can help.
GS2: Social Justice
- Jharkhand Assembly passes resolution for separate identity code for tribals (DTE) - Sarna code If the Centre approves the new Sarna code, Census 2021 would have to make space for a new religion. Currently, citizens can choose from only six religions: Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, Buddhism and Jainism.
- “HunarHaat” returns after a gap of seven months (PIB) indigenous exquisite products made from “Maati (clay), Metal and Machiya (wooden & jute products)” are the major attraction at “HunarHaat” in Pitampura. Rare exquisite products made from clay, different metals and wooden products, products made from cane-bamboo, mesmerising pottery work etc are available for display and sale at this “HunarHaat”.
- Explained: What is the unique maritime cluster coming up at GIFT City in Gujarat? (IE) Simply put, a maritime cluster is an agglomeration of firms, institutions, and businesses in the maritime sector that are geographically located close to each other.
- Cabinet approves Continuation and Revamping of the Scheme for Financial Support to Public Private Partnerships in Infrastructure Viability Gap Funding VGF Scheme (PIB) This would cater to Social Sectors such as Waste Water Treatment, Water Supply, Solid Waste Management, Health and Education sectors etc. These projects face bankability issues and poor revenue streams to cater fully to capital costs. The projects eligible under this category should have at least 100% Operational Cost recovery. The Central Government will provide maximum of 30% of Total Project Cost (TPC) of the project as VGF and State Government/Sponsoring Central Ministry/Statutory Entity may provide additional support up to 30% of TPC.
GS3: Science & Technology
- Explained: What OTT platforms coming under IB ministry means for Netflix, others(IE)" The move to bring the OTT platforms under the I&B ministry could also mean that these platforms would have to apply for approval of the content they wish to stream. This in itself is likely to give rise to many conflicts as most OTT platforms have content that could otherwise be censored in India.
- Explained: What is SpaceX-NASA’s upcoming Crew-1 mission launch? (IE) The goals of the mission are the same as that of Expedition 1 that lifted off 20 years ago. NASA has called both of these ISS missions “historic”. At the ISS, the Crew-1 team will join members of Expedition 64 and conduct microgravity studies and deliver new science hardware and experiments that they will carry with them to space aboard the Crew Dragon spacecraft.