GS1: Modern History
- Gopal Krishna Gokhale: The liberal nationalist regarded by Gandhi as his political guru(IE) At Bombay, Gokhale opposed the British government’s onerous land revenue policies, advocated free and compulsory primary education, and asked for the creation of equal opportunities to fight against untouchability.
GS2 : Polity
- The need for a second chamber(TH) The proposal for the Rajya Sabha as a second chamber had no easy sailing in the Constituent Assembly.
- Right to religion: SC explains reference to larger Bench(TH) ‘Sabarimala case review Bench had the power to frame questions on religious freedom’
- Explained: Strict liability rule that NGT wants to apply in Vizag gas leak case(PIB) The rule of strict liability, which has been applied around the world in both civil and criminal law, first evolved in the 1868 British case Rylands vs Fletcher.
- Collegium system ensures selection of competent judges’(TH) Over 68% of the advocates surveyed from eight High Courts were of the opinion that the collegium system of appointments
GS2 : Governance
- ATAL PENSION YOJANA (APY) – Completion of 5 years(PIB) APY can be subscribed by any Indian citizen in the age group of 18-40 years having a bank account and its uniqueness is attributable to three distinctive benefits.
GS3 : Economy
- Trade unions may knock at ILO’s door(TH) This move was the second phase of anti-worker policies, they allege.
- Reduce the country’s preference for cash(Mint) An upsurge of paper currency in public hands since the start of March could add to our coronavirus risk. To reduce this demand for cash, let’s address each of the reasons for it
GS3 : Agriculture
- Mandis linked to e platform see 65% rise in count post lockdown(TH) COVID-19 has given a boost to e-NAM, the national digital platform for agricultural trade, with the number of connected mandis
- World Migratory Bird Day 2020 Each year a variety of events, including bird watching are held across the globe to raise awareness on World Migratory Bird Day observed on May 9.
GS3: Science & Technology
- Explained: Are immunity passports, release certificates the way to go?(IE) Immunity passports and release certificates are based on the idea that the natural immunity a person develops to any infection will protect them from contracting the disease again.