GS1: "Geography: Population and related issues"
- India’s population data and a tale of two projections(TH) They predict that by the year 2100, on average, Indian women will have 1.29 children. Since each woman must have two children to replace herself and her husband, this will result in a sharp population decline.
GS1 Geography: Natural phenomenon
- Explained: How dangerous is the volcanic eruption in Indonesia’s Mount Sinabung(IE) A volcano can be active, dormant or extinct. An eruption takes place when magma (a thick flowing substance), formed when the earth’s mantle melts, rises to the surface. Because magma is lighter than solid rock, it is able to rise through vents and fissures on the surface of the earth. After it has erupted, it is called lava.
- Explained: Reading Supreme Court verdict on Hindu women’s inheritance rights (IE); The Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act, 2005 gave Hindu women the right to be coparceners or joint legal heirs in the same way a male heir does.
- Daughters have equal right to inherit property, says SC(TH)" Since the right to coparcenary of a daughter is by birth, it is not necessary that the father should be alive as on September 9, 2005. The court has thus overruled an earlier 2015 decision.
GS2 Governance: Health
- The mission to put health records at doctors’ fingertips(Mint) The regulatory basis for India’s unique brand of data portability is set out in the draft Personal Data Protection Bill. However, the technological scaffolding on which this portability will be implemented is contained in the Data Empowerment and Protection Architecture (DEPA), a framework that is already being used for the sharing of financial information through the central bank’s account aggregator framework.
GS2: International Relations
- India’s trade with neighbours has largely been flat(Mint) Also, in 2018-19, India’s goods exports to neighbours were at an all-time high of $25.69 billion or 7.8% of the overall goods exports. This fell to 7% in 2019-20, reflecting the extent of our deteriorating relations with some neighbours.
GS2: Social Justice
- From locker rooms to classrooms(TH) Many more schools should adopt School-Related Gender-based Violence programmes and curricula, so that conversations can move out of the locker room and emerge as healthy discussions in the classroom. The ground-breaking National Education Policy 2020 provides historic opportunities to shape the educational response to these challenges for decades to come.
GS3: Disaster Management
- Explained: Why Air India Express is liable to pay Rs 1.19 crore to each victim of Kozhikode crash(IE) The limits of liability during international flights for airlines have been defined under The Carriage By Air (Amendment) Act of 2016, based on India’s adoption of the Montreal Convention in 2009, which unifies rules governing compensation to passengers globally.
- "Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare Shri Narendra Singh Tomar launches Krishi Megh(PIB)" The Union Minister emphasized that the Government of India-World Bank funded National Agricultural Higher Education Project is designed for strengthening the national agricultural education system in the country with the overall objective to provide more relevant and high-quality education to the agricultural university students that is in tune with the New Education Policy - 2020.
- "Union Minister for Jal Shakti, Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launches Swachh Bharat Mission Academy(PIB)" Phase II of the SBM (G) was launched early this year, which focuses on ODF sustainability and Solid and Liquid Waste Management (SLWM).