- Court must rule(IE) The Supreme Court framed guidelines to be followed in “encounter” cases in People’s Union for Civil Liberties v State of Maharashtra, (2014). But ambiguity in wording, and a hard-to-get requirement of government sanction to prosecute police officers have conspired to ensure that police impunity is not dented
- "M/o Tribal Affairs hosts Webinar along with Facebook India for sensitization of MPs from ST Constituencies on GOAL project(PIB)" GOAL (Going Online as Leaders) is an initiative launched by Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) in partnership with Facebook India to digitally skill and empower5000 youth from tribal communities to become leaders of tomorrow by leveraging the power of digital technology. The initiative has been designed to allocate two mentees to a mentor.
GS2: International Relations
- What China security law means for Hong Kong and the global Internet(IE) The law criminalises four activities: “secession, subversion, organization and perpetration of terrorist activities, and collusion with a foreign country or with external elements to endanger national security”
- India must end dependence on imports of all equipment: Modi(Mint) The surge in imports led the Modi administration in its previous term to impose a safeguard duty from 30 July 2018 on solar cells and modules imported from China and Malaysia that ended in July. Post that, a basic customs duty (BCD) on all imported solar cells, modules and inverters was imposed to discourage cheap imports from China flooding the market.
- National Fish Farmers Day 2020 celebrated National Fish Farmers Day is celebrated on 10th July every year in remembrance of scientists Dr. K. H. Alikunhi and Dr. H.L. Chaudhury who successfully demonstrated the technology of induced breeding (Hypophysation) in Indian Major Carps on 10th July, 1957 at the erstwhile ‘Pond Culture Division’ of CIFRI at Cuttack, Odisha (presently Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture, CIFA, Bhubaneswar).
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship launches AI-based ASEEM digital platform to bridge demand-supply gap of skilled workforce across sectors(PIB) ASEEM https://smis.nsdcindia.org/, also available as an APP, is developed and managed by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) in collaboration with Bengaluru-based company Betterplace, specialising in blue collar employee management.. ASEEM portal aims at supporting decision and policymaking via trends and analytics generated by the system for programmatic purposes.
- "Shipping Ministry issues draft “Aids to Navigation Bill 2020” for public consultation
(PIB)" The draft bill provides for empowering Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships (DGLL) with additional power and functions such as Vessel Traffic Service, Wreck flagging, training and certification, implementation of other obligations under International Conventions, where India is a signatory. It also provides for identification and development of heritage lighthouses.
GS3: Science & Technology
- Explained: How stars provided the carbon that makes life possible(IE) When a star dies, it releases various elements including carbon into the surroundings. New study on white dwarfs sets size limits for the stars that enriched the Milky Way with carbon.