- Back in the shortage economy India has recovered from extremely trying crises in the past, with sincere and competent leadership
GS2: International Developments
- A TRIPS waiver is useful but not a magic pill The U.S.-supported move will have an effect if countries simultaneously address non-IP bottlenecks among other things
- Second wave brings key survey to halt The nationwide surveys, designed and executed by the labour bureau in consultation with an expert committee, may also be reworked as the explosive surge in infections this year has changed the ground realities since the surveys were conceived.
- Forex reserves see fourth week of gains, close to all-time high With the latest gain, the forex kitty posted its fourth successive week of gains — starting with a rise of $4.344 billion to reach $581.213 billion during the week ended April 9.
- National Asset reconstruction company to be operational next month Bad bank refers to a financial institution that takes over bad assets of lenders and undertakes resolution.The new entity is being created in collaboration with both public and private sector banks,
- Green panel allows Great Nicobar Plan to advance Environment Appraisal Committee which flagged concerns over project has now ‘recommended’ it ‘for grant of terms of reference’ for EIA studies
GS3: Science and Technology
- "SUTRA modellers’ claim of India reaching herd immunity last September was wrong’ Down To Earth speaks to Ashoka University Professor Gautam Menon as to why the Union government’s model, SUTRA, failed to predict the second wave of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in India. He says that the researchers consistently underrated the field of epidemiology and were not respectful of its nuances and depth
- What is fuelling the stellar run in ethereum? Ether, a cryptocurrency built on the ethereum blockchain, has zoomed 400% since early 2021 to approach $4,000, against a 100% gain in bitcoin in the same period. Mint looks at the platform on which ether is built, and why experts are more bullish on it than bitcoin
- Black Fungus in Covid Patients Mucormycosis, a serious fungal infection but otherwise rare, has been observed in a number of Covid-19 patients recently. While there is no major outbreak, the national Covid task force has issued an advisory.