GS2: Salient Features of Representation of People's Act
- Terrain, facilities will affect delimitation in J&K, says ECI The Jammu and Kashmir Delimitation Commission on Friday said it would base its final report on the 2011 Census and also take into account the topography, difficult terrain, means of communication and convenience available while delimiting seven additional seats for the 83-member Assembly of the Union Territory (UT), besides granting reservation to the Schedule Tribe (ST) and Schedule Caste (SC) communities.
GS2: Government Policies and Interventions for Development in various sectors and Issues arising out of their Design and Implementation.
- In defence of India’s noisy democracy (Democracy Vs development) In the current moment, it is important to be clear why comparisons with China are not only specious but also dangerous
GS2: Issues and Challenges Pertaining to the Federal Structure
- Cooperation Ministry will usurp States’ rights: Oppn. Opposition says move is to ‘hijack cooperative movement’ that currently falls under State govts
GS3: Indian economy, mobilisation of resources
- RBI ask to stop using LIBOR, MIFOR Libor rates over tenors are calculated as averages of rates polled by major banks and used for pricing debt instruments and derivatives like currency swaps and interest rate swaps.
GS3: Environmental Conservation
- Himalayan yaks to be insured The high-altitude yak, feeling the climate change heat across the Himalayan belt, will now be insured.
GS2: Issues Relating to Development and Management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
- Falling government school enrolment is alarming and it needs to be addressed soon Governance must shift from control of resources to learning outcomes; learning design, responsiveness, teacher management, community relationships, integrity, fair decision making, and financial sustainability.
- Explained:Kerala detects 15 cases of Zika virus; what is it? Kerala is on alert after detecting at least 15 cases of the Zika virus. What is this infection, and how dangerous is it? What are the symptoms and treatment?
GS2: Bilateral, Regional and Global Groupings and Agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
- Seizure of assets overseas Cairn Energy has reportedly won a French court order authorising freezing of Indian properties in Paris. Why is Cairn going after Indian assets? Are there any such precedents? What are India's options?
- 35% of the Tiger ranges outside protected areas India faces an increasing challenge of human wildlife conflict, which is driven by development pressures and an increasing population, high demand for land and natural resources, resulting in loss, fragmentation, and degradation of wildlife habitats. “These pressures intensify the interactions between people and wildlife because they often share living space without a clear demarcation of boundaries,” said the report.
Down To Earth
GS3: Environmental Conservation
- Human-wildlife conflict among greatest threats to animal species: WWF and UNEP report In response, WWF India had developed the ‘Sonitpur Model’ during 2003-2004 by which community members were connected with the state forest department. They were given training on how to work with them to drive elephants away from crop fields safely.