Modern History: GS1
- Patharughat Explained: The forgotten peasant uprising of Assam in 1894 (IE) Today a "martyrs column" stands where the incident took place — Patharughat, a small village in Assam's Darrang district, 60km northeast of Guwahati.
- Explained: What is the law on draping Tricolour over body of a deceased (IE) Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, Section 3.58 says: “On occasions of State/Military/Central Paramilitary Forces funerals, the flag shall be draped over the bier or coffin with the saffron towards the head of the bier or coffin. The Flag shall not be lowered into the grave or burnt in the pyre.”
- Budget 2021-22: Status of the Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme (PIB) The Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme (DILRMP), a Central Sector scheme has been extended up to 2020-21 at a total cost of Rs. 950 crores. It attempts to build upon the commonalities that exist in the arena of land records in various States to develop an appropriate Integrated Land Information Management System (ILIMS) across the country, on which different States can also add State-specific needs as they may deem relevant and appropriate.
- It’s goodbye to fiscal orthodoxy (TH) Budget 2021 is a departure from a key tenet of the Washington Consensus — macroeconomic stability
GS3: Environment and Climate Change
- Effect of Climate Change on Agriculture (PIB) Impact of climate change on Indian agriculture was studied under National Innovations in Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA). Rainfed rice yields in India are projected to reduce marginally (<2.5%) in 2050 and 2080 and irrigated rice yields by 7% in 2050 and 10% in 2080 scenarios. Further, wheat yield is projected to reduce by 6-25% in 2100 and maize yields by 18-23%. Future climates are likely to benefit chickpea with increase in productivity (23-54%).
- National Monsoon Mission (PIB) Under the Monsoon Mission, Ministry has developed the state-of-the-art weather and climate prediction models, which are now in operational use. These models include models for short range to medium range (1-10 days), extended range (10days to 30 days) and seasonal (up to one season). The models developed under the National Monsoon Mission (NMM) have shown very high skill in predicting important weather events on different time scales during the last 3years.