- Can states go beyond50% quota? Bigger Bench to decide (IE) It was hearing petitions against the June 27, 2019 order of the Bombay High Court which upheld the constitutional validity of the Maharashtra State Reservation (of seats for admission in educational institutions in the State and for appointments in the public services and posts under the State) for Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) Act, 2018.
- Redeﬁning Farmer(TH)The definition adopted in the 70th Round of NSSO seems to be appropriate. It can be further refined to define a farmer as one who earns a major part of the income from farming. The definition delinks agriculture production from land per se, and not just ownership
- EC proposes 10%hike in poll campaign expenditure cap (IE) The Law Ministry, sources said, received a proposal from the EC last week on amending Rule 90 of the Conduct of Election Rules 1961 to raise the expenditure cap ahead of the Assembly elections in Bihar.
GS2: International Relations
- Norwegian MP nominates Trump for Nobel Peace Prize(TH) It is for his contribution for peace between Israel and the UAE, said Christian Tybring-Gjedde, a member of parliament for the right-wing Progress Party
GS2: Social Issues
- World Suicide Prevention Day 2020: Significance of suicide prevention during a global pandemic (HT)World Suicide Prevention Day is observed annually on September 10 to raise awareness regarding the subject of suicide and the actions that can be taken to prevent these tragedies on a global scale. In 2003, the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) collaborated with the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH) to host the first ever World Suicide Prevention Day.
GS3: Indian Economy
- 8.15% interest rate on PF to be paid now,rest linked to equity returns (IE) The Central Board of Trustees of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has recommended splitting payment of the interest rate of 8.5% recommended for financial year 2019-20 into two parts, citing “exceptional circumstances arising out of Covid-19”.
GS3: Science and Tech
- The twisted trajectory of Bt cotton(TH)Genetically modified (GM) cotton, the plant containing the pesticide gene from the bacteria Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt), has been grown in India for about twenty years. This pesticide, now produced in each Bt plant cell, ought to protect the plant from bollworm, thereby increasing yields and reducing insecticide spraying on the cotton plant
GS3: Major Cropping Patterns
- Dry July,excess rain in August-end spell trouble for kharif crops (IE)Ground reports from Madhya Pradesh (MP), India’s largest soyabean and urad (black gram) producer, suggest significant damage to the crop -- first from an extended dry spell in July and then too much rain towards the last week of August.