- Inter-faith marriages, conversion and the law (TH) The story so far: The Special Marriage Act, 1954 (SMA) was enacted to facilitate the marriage of couples professing different faiths and preferring a civil marriage.
GS2: International Relations
- COVID-19: New UN alliance to stave off ‘catastrophic food crisis’ (DTE) The novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic has pulled food systems apart, threatening food security and nutrition. At least 690 million people went hungry in 2019, according to the State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World report, 2020. Now, the pandemic could tip over 130 million more people into chronic hunger by the end of 2020, according to the report.
- Academic credit banks, degree with entry and exit option soon (TH) New Policy to usher in changes in 74 universities focussed on crop sciences, fisheries, veterinary and dairy training and research.
GS3: Economy: Infrastructure
- Ministry of Power mandates all DISCOMs to comply Energy Conservation (EC) Act , 2001 (PIB) The Ministry of Power, Government of India issued notification S.O. 3445 (E) dated 28th September, 2020 to cover all the Electricity Distribution Companies (DISCOMs) under the preview of the EC Act. As per the notification, which was formulated in consultation with Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) "All entities having issued distribution license by State/Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission under the Electricity Act, 2003 (36 of 2003)" are notified as Designated Consumers (DCs).
- The cost of clearing the air (TH) Budgetary allocations alone don’t reflect the true cost of stemming air pollution. In February, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced a ₹4,400 crore package for 2020-21 to tackle air pollution in 102 of India’s most polluted cities.
GS3: Science and Technology
- "Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh Unveils A-Sat Missile Model in DRDO Bhawan (PIB) - Mission Shakti’ was country’s first ever Anti-Satellite (ASAT) Missile Test successfully conducted on 27th March 2019 from Dr AP J Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha, where a fast-moving Indian orbiting target satellite in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) was neutralised with pinpoint accuracy. This was a highly complex mission, conducted at extremely high speed with remarkable precision.
- Soak in the Sun, sleep early and tight to avoid myopia (TH) Myopia or shortsightedness is turning out to be an epidemic across India, and indeed even more in Southeast Asia. It occurs because of the potential role of myopic genes and also local environmental conditions such as the prolonged ‘near work’ and/or less sunlight exposure, and not because of any infection due to harmful germs.