- Disasters, conflicts triggered 5 mln displacements in India in 2019(DTE) The northwest monsoon unleashed displacement along with cyclone Maha, which hit Kerala and the Lakshwadweep Islands. This was followed by Cyclone Bulbul, which struck Odisha and West Bengal, triggering 186,000 displacements.
- Religion and freedom(TH) India must protect its freedoms, and come down heavily on religious violence
GS2: Policies and Interventions
- Over 325000 people are using “Janaushadhi Sugam” Mobile App to access Janaushadhi kendras(PIB)" Amid nationwide lockdown due to COVID-19 crisis Janaushadhi Sugam Mobile App is helping people in a big way to locate their nearest Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Kendra (PMJAK) and availability of affordable generic medicine with its price.
- EC vague on RTI asking if J&K is in Electoral College(TH) It merely tells applicant to ‘refer Article 54 of Constitution of India’
- Extension of jurisdiction of CAT to J&K opposed It will affect advocates of Union Territory and the public
GS2: Social Justice
- Explained: Why May 1 is observed as Labour Day(IE)In India, May Day was first celebrated on May 1, 1923, after the Labour Kisan Party of Hindustan initiated and Comrade Singaravelar helmed the celebrations.
GS2: International Relations
- Explained: What is India’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations?(IE) The Permanent Mission is the diplomatic mission that every member state deputes to the United Nations, and is headed by a Permanent Representative, who is also referred to as the “UN ambassador”.
- India signs $1.5 billion loan with ADB to support India’s COVID-19 immediate response(PIB) - Cares program" The signatories to the loan agreement for the ADB’s COVID-19 Active Response and Expenditure Support Programme (CARES Programme) were ShriSameer Kumar Khare, Additional Secretary (Fund Bank and ADB), in the Department of Economic Affairs in Ministry of Finance, and Kenichi Yokoyama, Country Director, ADB, in India.
- Shri Gadkari launches Bank of Schemes, Ideas, Innovation & Research Portal on MSMEs(PIB)"The Portal gives access to all Schemes of Union, State and UT Governments. It has the provision for uploading Ideas, Innovations & Researches in the sector.
- March core sector output slumps 6.5%(TH) Output at India’s core sector contracted by 6.5% in March, Commerce Ministry data show, reflecting the early impact of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Needed: a pandemic patent pool(TH) - This will give all countries the right to implement innovations without further permission from patent-holders
- GI tag to Manipur black rice, Gorakhpur terracotta(TH) Both the products have been in circulation for centuries and are important sources of income
- Explained: How Covid-19 lockdowns have impacted the global energy sector(IE) Coronavirus (COVID-19): India has seen a reduction in its energy demands by over 30 per cent as a result of the nation-wide lockdown.