- Is Trump empowered to delay the election?(TH) According to the U.S. Constitution, it’s Congress, not the President, that decides the timing of the elections
- "“Muslim Women Rights Day” organised at National Commission for Minorities office in New Delhi(PIB)" 1st August is a day which made Muslim women free from social evil of Triple Talaq”
GS2: International Relations
- "1947 pact on Gurkha soldiers redundant: Nepal Minister(TH) The 1947 agreement divided the Gorkha regiments of the British empire between India and the United Kingdom. It also assured that the Gorkha soldiers of Nepal while serving in the British military will draw perks and privileges equivalent to their counterparts.
- "Explained: What’s behind US GDP slide and why is China different(IE) According to the IMF, while China’s COVID-19 related support policies, including spending, loans and guarantees, amounted to just 2.5 per cent of GDP, it is a much higher 11 per cent for the US. But other than the direct benefit transfer to consumer and employees in the US, much of its policy push focussed on paring interest rates, increasing borrowing, and strengthening government purchasing of debt.
- "DEA panel to select new RBI MPC members(Mint) Three of the six-member MPC are external representatives and they are appointed by the government for a fixed term of four years.
- Core sector output shrinks in June, but at a slower pace(Mint) electricity production remaining negative reflects low industrial activity as commercial demand has been subdued given the massive adoption of work-from-home practices, and only partly running of factories. “Low crude oil prices and low demand for fuel also kept production and imports subdued.
- 15th Finance Commission’s HLEG on Agricultural Exports submits report(PIB) The Group was of the view that the private sector players had a pivotal role to play in ensuring demand orientation and focus on value addition; ensuring project plans are feasible, robust, implementable and appropriately funded; providing funds for technology based on business case and for creating urgency and discipline for project implementation.
- "Union Minister of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar releases booklet on Best Practices in Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme(PIB)" It provides useful inputs to identify areas for innovation and helping other States to imbibe such innovative practices in order to arrive at a more comprehensive understanding of the realities on the ground. It would ultimately lead to improved land governance system, reduction in land disputes, prevention of benami transactions and comprehensive Integrated Land Information Management System in the country.