Context: The escalating border tensions with China called for improving the defence capability and due to this Defence Acquisition Council cleared 38900 crore worth of deals.
More on News:
- This includes procurement of -
- 21 MiG-29 fighter jets for the Indian Air Force (IAF) and upgrade of 59 of them
- Acquisition of 12 Su-30 MKI aircraft.
- Pinaka ammunition, armoured vehicle BMP armament upgrades and Software Defined Radio (SDR) for the Army.
- Long range land attack missile (LRLAM) systems of over 1000 km range
- Astra Beyond Visual Range (BVR) air to air missiles for the Navy and Air Force
- The MIG-29 procurement will cost around 7418 crore and rest all will be procured domestically.
- The 21 MiG-29s had been partially manufactured by Russia for an unfulfilled order and would now be upgraded and delivered to India.
- India has in different batches contracted 272 Su-30s from Russia, majority of which have been licence manufactured by HAL.
Defence Acquisition Council:
- The DAC is the Defence Ministry’s highest decision-making body for capital acquisition proposals forwarded by the Indian armed forces.
- It is headed by the Defence Minister.
- It was set up in 2001 as part of the post-Kargil reforms in the defence sector.
- It approves the long-term integrated perspective plan for the forces, accords acceptance of necessity (AON) to begin acquisition proposals, and grant’s its approval to all major deals through all their important phases.
- It also has the power to approve any deviations in an acquisition, and recommends all big capital defence purchases for approval of the Cabinet committee on security (CCS) headed by the Prime Minister.
- The Mikoyan MiG-29 is a twin-engine jet fighter aircraft designed in the Soviet Union.
- Developed by the Mikoyan design bureau as an air superiority fighter during the 1970s.
- The MiG-29 has also been a popular export aircraft; more than 30 nations either operate or have operated the aircraft to date.
Sukhoi - 30:
- The Sukhoi Su-30 is a twin-engine, two-seat supermaneuverable fighter aircraft developed in the Soviet Union by Russia's Sukhoi Aviation Corporation.
- It is a multirole fighter for all-weather, air-to-air and air-to-surface deep interdiction missions.
- Pinaka is a multiple rocket launcher produced in India and developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation for the Indian Army.
- The system has a maximum range of 40 km for Mark-I and 75 km for Mark-II, and can fire a salvo of 12 HE rockets in 44 seconds.
- Astra is an all weather beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation.
- It is the first air-to-air missile developed by India.
- It features mid-course inertial guidance with terminal active radar homing.
Image Source: The Hindu