Q) The poorest districts with the largest number of migrant workers are precisely the ones that need to generate employment, but have the least capacity to deliver. Critically analyse in context of Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan. (250 words)
Why this question?
- To reduce the hardship of migrant workers the central government launched the Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan (GKRA). It has the twin objectives of providing employment and benefits to villages through the development of rural infrastructure using returning migrants’ skills. Thus the question.
Introduction: Mention key objectives of the Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan (GKRA).
Body: Discuss the following aspects
- The choice of districts should be guided by the following factors:
- The number of migrants from that district
- how poor those districts are relative to others
- how efficient these districts are in terms of delivery of the programme objectives.
- Concerns with choice of districts
- Linkage of Performance of MNREGA and GKRY
- The state capacity and corruption:Poorer states like Bihar and UP are amongst the worst performers in access measured as person days generated.
Conclusion: Summarize and provide your assessment of the GKRY