Q. Legislative councils have become a backdoor entry for political party loyalists who fail to win popular mandates. In the light of the statement critically analyse the relevance of Legislative Councils. (15 Marks - 250 Words)
Why this question? - Maharashtra’s ruling Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA), an alliance of the Shiv Sena, NCP, and Congress, has won four of the six Maharashtra Legislative Council seats for which voting took place recently.
Intro - Briefly talk about legislative Councils, bicameral legislature
- Criticism of LCs
- Rationale for creation
- Previous instances, SC judgements
Way ahead - Parliamentary committee, 2nd ARC recommendations.
Conclude - Take a stand- whether to abolish it or improve upon it.
Q. The Reserve Bank of India(RBI) is facing an odd situation at present as GDP is contracting even as inflation is rising amid pandemic. In this context, discuss the shortcomings of monetary policy. (15 marks - 250 words)
Why this question? - The Reserve Bank of India has kept interest rates unchanged, seeking to contain a rise in retail inflation even as growth remains a concern.
Intro - Highlight the status of Indian economy at present and the dilemma faced by the RBI.
- A brief about RBI’s monetary policy and its objectives.
- Shortcomings of RBI monetary policy and its impact on Indian economy.
Way ahead - Need to reform RBI’s monetary policy to make it more relevant in the current scenario.
Conclusion - Summarize your answer based on the above discussion.
Q) Critically analyse the implementation of Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act.(250 words)
Why this question?
- To avoid allegations of unfairness and bias in case of complaints of sexual harassment against high-rank officers of the government, majority of Internal Complaints Committee (ICC) members preferably should not be from the same Ministry or Department, the Delhi High Court has ruled.
Introduction: Discuss the background of Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act.
- Salient features of the Act
- Loopholes, increasing numbers of sexual harassment cases
- Need for redressal measures
Conclusion: Conclude by summarizing and provide a way forward.
Q) Discuss the impact of the Coronavirus crisis on the energy sector. (150 words)
Why this question?
- Global progress on using more efficient sources of energy was set to slow down as a result of the economic impacts of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, according to the new International Energy Agency (IEA) report, Energy Efficiency 2020.
Introduction: The energy sector is also severely affected by this crisis, which has slowed transport, trade and economic activity across the globe.
- Electricity use in residential buildings
- Commercial buildings could become more energy intensive if occupants expect higher ventilation rates to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission.
- Technical efficiency improvements in some markets have been delayed as lockdowns and physical distancing curtail building contractors’ physical access to premises.
- Change in mobility patterns
- Electricity security and resilient energy systems are more indispensable than ever for modern societies.
- Clean energy transitions must be at the center of economic recovery and stimulus plans.
Conclusion: Conclude with the way forwar