Q. Explain the ambit of contempt of court power vested in the judiciary of India. (15 Marks - 250 Words)
Why this question? Recently, the Attorney General for India granted consent to initiate criminal contempt of court proceedings for allegedly scandalising the judiciary.
Intro: The rising cases of contempt of court has brought into spotlight the extent of power the SC has to deal with such cases.
- Power flows from Constitution ( Article 129 , 142) and Contempt of court act 1971
- It has the power to punish for contempt not only of itself but also of high courts, subordinate courts and tribunals functioning in the entire country.
- It has power to punish both civil as well as criminal contempt.
- It can also take suo motu cognisance.
- Restriction on Power - Fair Criticism, Truth said bonafidely in public interest
Conclusion: Power must be exercised keeping in mind the extent of freedom of speech and expression an individual enjoys under Article 19.
Q. What is a Tropical Cyclone? Also explain how it is formed and the favorable conditions required. (15 Marks - 250 Words)
Why this question? - In exactly a week (after the Nivar cyclone), another cyclone - Burevi - will hit Tamil Nadu coast.
Intro - Define tropical cyclones and quote some recent examples.
- Details about Tropical cyclone
- The area affected etc
- Mention favourable conditions for a tropical cyclone
- Mention few recent cyclones
Conclusion - Summarize based on the above discussion.
Q) Discuss the significance of gender sensitivity in the judiciary. What steps should be taken to improve the current state of gender disparity in the judiciary? (150 words)
Why this question?
The Attorney-General took the Supreme Court’s invitation to suggest ways to gender-sensitise judges.
Introduction: Define gender sensitivity. Mention the current state of gender disparity in the judiciary. Provide some data.
Significance: Eliminate gender stereotypes and increase women's willingness to enforce their rights.
Conclusion: More women judges in constitutional courts would certainly improve gender sensitivity in the judiciary.
- Improving the representation of women could also go a long way towards a more balanced and empathetic approach in cases involving sexual violence.
- Judges need to be trained to place themselves in the shoes of the victim of sexual violence while passing orders.
Q) Explain the need for a caste census in India. (150 words)
Why this question?
- The idea of a caste census is back in the realm of public debate, following the Tamil Nadu government’s decision to establish a commission to collect caste-wise data.
Introduction: Mention in brief about caste census in India, socio-economic caste census
Need for a caste census
- There is a social and legal necessity for compiling caste-wise data.
- The Supreme Court has been asking States to produce quantifiable data to justify their levels of reservation, and it would help Tamil Nadu to retain its 69% total reservation.
- At the same time, some castes that have either electoral or numerical importance across India have been restive about the manner in which affirmative action programmes based on classes and communities have been implemented so far.
Conclusion: Summarize the above point