Q.1) The Covid-19 pandemic is a testing time for India’s Neighbourhood First Policy. Comment (15 Marks - 250 Words)
Why this question? - In the year 2020, India has faced a triad of challenges in its neighbourhood from China.
Intro - How pandemic has affected India and its neighbours.
- Role played by India in the region during the pandemic
- Challenges from China - Influence in the region, Stand off at LAC etc
- India’s response
Way ahead - Solving issues bilaterally and diplomatically with neighbourhood as priority.
Conclusion - Summarize based on above discussion.
Q.2) What are the factors which threaten water security in India? Suggest a way forward for ensuring water security in India?
Why this question?
- Since its launch in August 2019, the Centre’s ambitious flagship scheme Jal Jeevan Mission ( JJM), which in partnership with the States seeks to ensure that every rural household of the country gets assured drinking water supply by 2024, has achieved 32.3% coverage of tap connections in rural India, emerging as a key scheme.
Introduction: Define water security. Mention the significance of water security in India.
Reasons for Water Stress and Water Scarcity:
- Inefficient water management and uneven distribution
- Improper water irrigation
- Government several policies to farmers for providing free electricity and financial support for water extraction
- Rapid urbanization, industrialization, population growth
- Water pollution
- Poor water storage
- Poor legislation on groundwater extraction
- institutional processes for dissemination of knowledge about water resource management
- adequate access to quality water
- robust long-term planning and preparation for droughts and other contingencies.
Conclusion: Summarize the above points