Q.1) Locust invasion can be a threat to food security if not controlled timely. Comment. Also discuss how the recent locust invasion in India is unusual when compared with earlier sightings. (15 marks - 250 words)
Why this question? - Recently, swarms of locusts have been sighted in urban areas of Rajasthan, which is unusual. The first swarms were sighted along the India-Pakistan border in April, by scientists of the Agriculture Ministry’s Locust Warning Organization (LWO), months ahead of the usual time of arrival.
Intro - Tell what is locust and what is locust invasion.
Body - Tell the impact of locust on crops i.e Grow exponentially, Locusts are polyphagous and can endanger food security.
Tell how recent sightings different - Much ahead of invasions sighted earlier, sighted in urban areas. Tell reasons behind this.
Wayforward - Use of insecticides etc.
Q.2) India’s clarion call for self-reliance needs make major course changes in development strategies. Discuss in the backdrop of Industrial development since independence, growth of a Globalised world order.
Keywords for answer
- Introduce the meaning of Self reliance, Self reliant mission and the imminent need of it.
- Discuss the trajectory of Industrial Development in India.
- Nehruvian Self Reliance, License Raj, Coming of the Globalisation, LPG
- Also discuss the shortcomings of PSUs, FDi as a tool to seek self reliance
- India missing out on the 3rd Industrial Revolution
- Closure with Global examples of Taiwan, China, South Korea
- Self-reliant capabilities call for
- Planned state investments in R&D including basic research (3-5% of GDP)
- Technology and policy support to private corporations
- Education and skill development (4-6% of GDP)
Q.3) RBI’s monetary easing tools are turning blunt even as the government relies on lending for an economic revival. In the light of this statement ,discuss the tools RBI have to manage the credit flow in brief.
Why this question: Economic slowdown during COVID-19 outbreak
Intro: Introduce the answer with recent reduction of reverse repo rate amid slowdown.
Discuss about repo rate, reverse repo rate, CRR, SLR and OMO
Conclude with the significance of these tools.
Q4)Frequent adjournments sought for procedural matters are a major reason for delay in the Indian judiciary. Elucidate (150 words)
Why this question?
The impact of COVID-19 includes the functioning of Indian courts and tribunals as well.
Stats/report regarding delay due to Frequent adjournments
- Delay in subordinate civil courts and High Courts due to frequent adjournments.
- Explain these procedural hurdles
- Impact of those hurdles
Q5)The tribal gatherers are considered to be one of the worst affected in the COVID-19 pandemic. Comment (250 words)
Why this question?
The Webinar under Know Your Scheme-Lecture Series on “Van Dhan Yojana: Learning For Post Covid-19” was organized recently
Unprecedented threat of COVID-19 and vulnerability of tribals in brief
Explain vulnerability of tribals in detail
- Market unavailability
- Ongoing peak season for harvesting Non-Timber Forest Produce (NTFP)
Steps taken by the government
- TRIBES India
- Van Dhan Yojana
- Revise in MSP for NTFP
- Tech for tribals etc
Problems in current initiatives
Conclude by suggesting a way forward to tackle the problems in the existing structure of their development