Q) Critically analyse the key provisions of the Social Security Code, 2020. (150 words)
Why this question?
- Parliament passed three Bills that complete the government’s codification of 29 labour laws into four codes, with the Rajya Sabha passing the Industrial Relations Code, 2020, the Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions Code, 2020 and the Social Security Code, 2020.
Introduction: Considering the extent of economic distress in the country, concerns of labour must be placed at the centre of such policy initiatives.
Body: Discuss the following aspects
- Key provisions of the Social Security Code, 2020
- Social security funds for unorganised workers, gig workers and platform workers
- National Social Security for gig workers and platform workers
- National Social Security Board
- Benefits: It will accelerate labour reform and improve ease of doing business.
- The design and coverage of the social security fund is unclear.
- Portability of benefits of migrant workers needs to be ensured.
- Given the temporary nature of workers in the gig economy, there are question marks over social security for them.
Conclusion: The initiatives in the bills which include widening the ambit of social security by including inter-state migrant workers and gig economy workers are steps in the right direction. However considering the extent of economic distress in the country, concerns of labour must be placed at the centre of such policy initiatives.