Q) Discuss the recent amendments to the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA) and the need for such amendments. (250 words)
Why this question?
- The Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2020, was introduced in the Lok Sabha.
- Between 2011 and 2019 the central Government had to cancel certificates of registration of more than 19,000 NGOs or associations registered under the FCRA for violations such as mis-utilisation of foreign contribution etc.
Body: Discuss the following aspects
- About FCRA
- Recent amendments: As per the amended FCRA rules -
- NGOs now need to file their annual returns online, with the hard copy version dispensed with.
- The annual returns must be placed quarterly on the NGO’s website or the FCRA website maintained by the home ministry.
- Need for amendments: Ensuring transparency, better regulatory compliance
Conclusion: Conclude with the way forward