Q) What are the progress and challenges to the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action in India over the past 5 years. Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question?
- India got elected as Member of the UN Commission on the Status of Women, the principal global body focussed on gender equality and women empowerment, beating China in a hotly-contested election. Thus the question.
Introduction: Brief info about ‘Beijing Declaration’ and its 12 areas of critical concern.
Body: Discus following aspects
- Significance of gender equality in achieving sustainable development goals (SDGs)
- Recent government schemes to achieve gender equality:
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
- Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana
- Scheme for Adolescent Girls
- Issues with schemes
- Crime against women
- Poor global rankings: India has been ranked 112th among 153 countries in the annual Global Gender Gap Index for 2020.
Conclusion: Summarize and suggest a way forward