Q) The abrupt announcement of the lockdown exposed the severe vulnerabilities of urban low-end informal jobs as the share of vulnerable employment is higher in India than that of the world or the South Asia region.The present crisis calls for a multi-pronged strategy to tackle the issue of urban jobs.Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question?
- Due to the lockdown, the sectors that have been affected the most — construction (–50%), trade, hotels and other services (–47%), manufacturing (–39%), and mining (–23%) — are those that create the maximum new jobs in the economy. Thus the question.
Introduction: Mention the contraction of the economy and unemployment due to the Coronavirus crisis.
Body: Discuss the following aspects:
- Vulnerable employment is characterised by inadequate earnings, low productivity and difficult conditions of work that undermine the basic rights of workers.
- Poor quality jobs in India: According to the International Labour Organization, of the 535 million labour force in India in 2019, some 398.6 million will have poor quality jobs.
- Causes for high incidence of informality in India
- Urban employment generation in coordination with local governments
- Expansion of MGNREGA
- Implementing employment-intensive investment policies:
- Invest in infrastructure
Conclusion: Summarize all the aspects of the answer.