Q.1) The Indian Banking Sector has been in dismal conditions in spite of relief measures announced amid lockdown. Comment. 10 marks (150 words)
Why This Question:
Experts are recommending fresh measures after the lockdown as the current package might not be sufficient.
Start by telling the banking sector was crucially hurt owing to the lockdown due to which RBI came up with slew of measures to cushion the sector.
Tell some measures:
- Reduction in Cash reserve ratio to 3%
- Repo rate and Reverse repo rate also reduced.
- Loan Moratorium extended
- Insolvency and Bankruptcy code suspended
- Poor forecast for economy’s revival
- Bank NPAs will rise to 13-14% by 20-21.
- Numerous Businesses would fail owing to reduced aggregate demand.
- Debt Restructuring needs to be done so that viable business before the lockdown can get on track again.
- This must be done on cautious criterias so that undeserving businesses should be allowed to fail and good businesses shouldn’t be left out.
- An indirect model of ownership must be introduced for public sector banks like making them accountable through a stakeholder company which would be responsible for improved results.
- Apart from this, support to small and medium business is to be given along with employment generation so as to revive the aggregate demand in the economy and help the borrowers in honouring their loans.
The banking sector is the main indicator of financial health of the country , hence the above mentioned steps should be taken expeditiously so as to revive the sector.
Q.2) For making Indian agriculture ‘Atma Nirbhar’ there is the need to realise the principle of comparative advantage. Comment (15 marks - 250words)
Why this question? - With global supply chains being disrupted because of the COVID-19 crisis, the Indian government has given a clarion call for “Aatma Nirbhar Bharat”.
Intro - A brief about Atma Nirbhar Bharat abhiyan.
- Need for making Indian agriculture atma nirbhar.
- Ways to make Indian agriculture self reliant - comparative advantage - That means exporting more where India has a competitive edge, and importing where we lack competitiveness. .
Way ahead - What policy supports are required for making Indian agri Atma Nirbhar.
Conclusion - As agriculture forms backbone of Indian economy, making it Atma Nirbhar will in turn make India Atma Nirbhar.
Q.3) There is a need to bring the ‘One Nation One Voter ID’ system to ensure the empowerment of the forgotten migrant voter. Discuss(15 marks-250 words)
Why this question?
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, the Election Commission of India (ECI) has made it possible for senior citizens above the age of 65 to vote by postal ballot.
Mention hardships faced by migrant workers during the pandemic
- Mention that Election Commission of India (ECI) has made it possible for senior citizens above the age of 65 to vote by postal ballot
- Need of same empowering approach to be extended to migrant workers
- Vulnerability of migrants
- Impact of crisis situations
- Hardship during the Long travel
- Exploitive work conditions
- Non-exercise of voting rights
- No identity proofs at the place of employment etc
- Focusing attention on who want to vote but are unable to do so
- Need of proxy voting similar to NRIs
- Adopting a new model
- Outreach measures and removing procedural hurdles
- One Nation One Voter ID
Ensuring that every Indian voter can participate in elections is imperative to ensure a democratically inclusive India.