Objective: CCTNS aims at creating a comprehensive and integrated system for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of policing through adopting the principle of e-Governance and creation of a nationwide networking infrastructure for the evolution of IT-enabled-state-of-the-art tracking systems around 'Investigation of crime and detection of criminals'.
Salient features of CCTNS
- It is a Central sector project of Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) launched in 2009.
- To inter-link all police Stations under a common application software for the purpose of investigation, policy making, data analytics, research and providing Citizen Services.
- It is a Mission Mode Project (MMP) under the National e-Governance Plan of Govt. of India.
- The project provided the State Police officials with a platform to enter Crime & Criminal data onto a CCTNS application, which could be accessed any time through State database at State Data Centre as well as at National Database at National Data Centre (NDC).
- The scope of the CCTNS project has been enhanced to integrate the Police data with other pillars of the criminal justice system namely -- Courts, Prisons, Prosecution, Forensics and Fingerprints and juvenile homes, and accordingly a new system -- “Inter-operable Criminal Justice System (ICJS)” has been developed.
- It will also create facilities and mechanisms to provide public services like registration of online complaints, ascertaining the status of case registered at the police station, verification of persons etc.