Context: The Prime Minister of India has announced Junta Curfew on Sunday. The PM was addressing the nation in the wake of the COVID 19 outbreak.
Takeaways from PM’s address:
- Social distancing is very necessary in the present phase of coronavirus pandemic and roaming around markets and crowded places is not the right approach as this will endanger people.
- Junta Curfew: It will be self imposed and self regulated and will be effective from 7 in the morning till 9 in the evening and no one should step out of their homes during this period except those people in essential services.
- The PM urged countrymen to thank people like doctors, medical personnel and cleaning staff for their service on Sunday at 5 PM.
- Step out only if extremely necessary: The PM requested all people to step out of the house in the coming few weeks only if extremely necessary, and work from home as much as possible.
- Senior citizens stay at home: He also urged senior citizens above the age of 65 years to stay at home in the coming days.
- Avoid routine check-up: The PM requested people to avoid going to hospitals for routine check-up in order to ease pressure on medical staff.
- No panic buying: The government is taking all necessary steps to ensure supply of essential commodities and the people should not go for panic buying.
- Business community to take care of the economic needs of their employees by not deducting their salary if they are not able to come to work.
- A task force: The Prime Minister also said the government has decided to constitute a Task Force under the Chairmanship of the Finance Minister which will interact with all the stakeholders.
- Entire human race at risk: The COVID 19 outbreak has put the entire human race in crisis around the world.
- Not easy to deal with: The PM pointed out that for a developing country like India with a huge population, coronavirus will not be easy to deal with. Hence, resolve and restraint are a must in order to contain the outbreak.
The government is keeping a close vigil and the role of citizens is very important to control the outbreak. It is important for citizens to show resolve and perform duties and follow the directions laid down by centre and state governments. During such pandemics, only one mantra works - the world is healthy when we are healthy.