In news: Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency/Economy (CAFE) Regulation to curb vehicular pollution has become a concern amongst the automobile industry.
What are CAFE regulations?
- Corporate Average refers to sales-volume weighted average for every auto manufacturer.
- They aim at lowering fuel consumption (or improving fuel efficiency) of vehicles by lowering carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, thus serving the twin purposes of reducing dependence on oil for fuel and controlling pollution.
- CAFE norms require cars to be 30% or more fuel efficient from 2022 and 10% or more between 2017 and 2021.
- The norms are applicable for petrol, diesel, LPG and CNG passenger vehicles.
- CAFE regulations in India came into force from April 1, 2017.