Context: The Commission for Air Quality Management in the National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas Ordinance, 2020 has been signed by the President.
About the commission
- The commission is a statutory authority.
- It will work on research, better coordination, identification, and resolution of problems in the Air Quality Index in the National Capital Region.
- It will consist of a chairperson, members from the state of Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- The commission will consist of members from ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) and the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB).
- The commission will take measures to entertain complaints, issue directions in order to protect and improve the air quality in the NCR.
- The commission will lay down parameters for discharging or emitting environmental pollutants from various sources.
The Commission is to have three Sub-Committees. They are as follows
- Monitoring and Identification
- Research and Development
- Safeguarding and Enforcement
Image Source: IE