Context: Recently, Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog and National Informatics Centre (NIC) jointly launched CollabCAD.
- CollabCAD is a part of the ‘Tinker from Home’ campaign, through which young students are encouraged to learn and contribute to the journey of nation building from the safe space of their homes.
- It is a collaborative network, computer enabled software system, providing a total engineering solution from 2D drafting & detailing to 3D product design.
- The aim of this initiative is to provide a great platform to students of Atal Tinkering Labs (ATLs) across the country to create and modify 3d designs with free flow of creativity and imagination.
- CAD: It is an indigenous three dimensional computer aided design system which helps to build models in virtual 3d space and create and engineering drawings, which makes it a complete package for smart manufacturing.
- This software would also enable students to create data across the network and concurrently access the same design data for storage and visualization.
- Role of National Informatics Centre (NIC) : NIC is playing a crucial role in pushing the online module to reach to the students all across the country by providing a huge source of data through this software CAD system.
- At the school level, AIM is establishing ATLs in all districts across India.
- As of today, AIM has selected a total of 14,916 schools across the country spread across 33 different states and union territories, for the establishment of ATLs.
- ATLs established across India, provide tinkering spaces to children to hone their innovative ideas and creativity.
AIM’s collaboration with NIC’s CollabCAD is a great platform for students to utilize indigenous, state-of-the-art made-in-India software for 3D modeling/slicing to use 3D Printing.
Tinker from Home campaignin:
- In the light of the current situation, the ATL program has launched a ‘Tinker from Home’ campaign to ensure that the children across the county have access to useful easy-to-learn online resources to keep themselves fruitfully occupied.
- The objective of the initiative is to harness the creativity and innovativeness of children by encouraging learning through self-initiation.
Game Development Module:
- AIM also launched the Game Development module in partnership with DELL Technologies and Learning Links Foundation.
- It is an online platform where students can start their learning journey while tinkering from home. Through the platform they can learn to create their own games and also share it with others.
- This platform envisages to make students transition from ‘game players’ to ‘game makers’.
Atal Innovation Mission
The Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) is a flagship initiative set up by the NITI Aayog:
- To promote innovation and entrepreneurship across the length and breadth of the country, based on a detailed study and deliberations on innovation and entrepreneurial needs of India in the years ahead.
- AIM is also envisaged as an umbrella innovation organization that would play an instrumental role
- In alignment of innovation policies between central, state and sectoral innovation schemes
- Incentivizing the establishment and promotion of an ecosystem of innovation and entrepreneurship at various levels - higher secondary schools, science, engineering and higher academic institutions, and SME/MSME industry, corporate and NGO levels.
- Long term goals of AIM include
- Establishment and promotion of Small Business Innovation Research and Development at a national scale (AIM SBIR) for the SME/MSME/startups,
- Rejuvenating Science and Technology innovations in major research institutions of the country like CSIR (Council of Scientific Industrial Research), Agri Research (ICAR) and Medical Research (ICMR) aligned to national socio-economic needs.
AIM has adopted a holistic framework in the achievement of its objectives.
- Atal Tinkering Labs – to promote creative, innovative mindset in schools.
- Atal Incubators – to promote entrepreneurship in universities and industry.
- Atal New India Challenges and Atal Grand Challenges - to promote specific product innovations with social / economic impact.
- Mentors of Change – to mentor students at ATL and AIC Incubators / Startups.
National Informatics Centre (NIC)
- It is an attached office under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Government of India, established in 1976.
- NIC provides infrastructure to help support delivery of Government IT services and delivery of some of the initiatives of Digital India.
Image Source: NITI Aayog