The Narendra Modi government has initiated a massive re-plan and redevelopment of New Delhi’s iconic central vista (the stretch from the gates of Rashtrapati Bhawan to India Gate that was designed by Edwin Lutyens) along with surrounding buildings spread over an area of approximately 4sq km.
The house of the Parliament of India
- The mega plan will explore options that include constructing a new Parliament building close to the present one or modernizing the existing building to meet future needs, constructing a common central secretariat to accommodate most departments and upgrading the central vista to make it a major tourist attraction.
- The Sansad Bhavan is the house of the Parliament of India contains the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha and is located in New Delhi.
Features of the Building
- It was designed by the British architect Sir Edwin Lutyens and Sir Herbert Baker in 1912-1913 so as to construct a new administrative capital city for British India.
- It is believed that the circular structure of the 11th-century Chausath Yogini Temple may also have inspired the design of the building.
- Construction of the Parliament House began in 1921 and it was completed in 1927.
- The opening ceremony of the Parliament House was performed on 18 January 1927 by Lord Irwin, Viceroy of India.
- The Parliament Museum which stands next to the Parliament House in the building of the Parliamentary Library was opened in 2006
Proposal for a new building
- The shape of the building is based on the Ashoka Chakra.
- At the center of the building is the Central Chamber semicircular halls surrounding it were constructed for the sessions of the Chamber of Princes (now used as the Library Hall), the State Council (now used for the Rajya Sabha), and the Central Legislative Assembly (now used for the Lok Sabha).
- The building is surrounded by large gardens and the perimeter is covered by sandstone railings.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/government-to-redevelop-rajpath-parliament-and-secretariat/articleshow/71103717.cms https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_House_(India) Read More Articles: President Address to joint sitting of Parliament DEVICES OF PARLIAMENTARY PROCEEDINGS: Motions
- The new building is being considered to be remodeled or renovated on account of stability concerns.
- A committee to suggest few alternatives to the current building has been set up by the ex-Speaker, Meira Kumar.
- The present building suffers from inadequacy of space to house members and their staff and also structural issues.
- The building also needs to be protected because of its heritage tag.