Context: Researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology-Madras have shown that the active compound from the common household spice turmeric - curcumin - can enhance cancer cell death.
More on the news:
- Researchers have found that treating leukaemia cells that cause cancer of the blood and bone marrow with curcumin, enhances cell death.
- The research is published in Pharmacological Reports, a peer-reviewed journal.
TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL):
- It is an agent with the ability to programme cell death (apoptosis) and has triggered many preclinical studies the world over.
- While the anti-tumour activity of TRAIL in preclinical studies had been strong, in clinical trials, the results were so far unsatisfactory as cancer cells, when exposed long-term, seem to acquire resistance against TRAIL.
- The next round of research has been to find chemicals that can reverse resistance and increase sensitivity of cancer cells to TRAIL.