In news: India has become the first country in the world to issue Biometric Seafarer Identity Document (BSID).
More about it:
- The new facial biometric technology is a marked improvement over the two fingers or iris-based biometric data.
- The issuance of SID involves the collection of biometric and demographic details of the seafarers, their verification and then issuance of the card to them.
- The new document will give a foolproof identification to our seafarers which will facilitate their movement, provide ease of getting jobs and help in identifying them from any location in the world.
- A record of each SID issued will be maintained in a national database and its related information will be internationally accessible.
- In India the BSID project has been taken up in collaboration with Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC), Mumbai.
- The new card is in confirmation of the Convention No. 185 of the International Labour Organization on BSID. India ratified the Convention in October 2015.