In News: Bathukamma is a colourful and vibrant festival of Telangana and celebrated by women, with flowers that grow exclusively in each region. This festival is a symbol of Telangana’s cultural identity.
About the Festival:
- Bathukamma comes during the latter half of monsoon, before the onset of winter.
- The monsoon rains usually bring plenty of water into the freshwater ponds of Telangana and it is also the time when wildflowers bloom in various vibrant colors all across the uncultivated and barren plains of the region.
- Bathukamma is a beautiful flower stack, arranged with different unique seasonal flowers, most of them with medicinal values, in seven concentric layers in the shape of temple gopuram.
- The most abundant of these are the ‘gunuka poolu’ and ‘tangedu poolu’. There are other flowers too like the banti, chemanti, nandi-vardhanam etc.
- Bathukamma is celebrated by the women folk of Telangana, heralding the beauty of nature in vibrant colors of multitudinous flowers.
- The folk festival symbolises the state's rich cultural identity and marks the beginning of the nine-day festival.
Ever since the formation of Telangana state in 2014, Bathukamma has been celebrated as the state festival.