Context: The Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC India) recently said its efforts on “combating infiltration” were focused on the individual(s) responsible for manipulating the TRP system.
More on the news:
- Over the past several days, there have been various news reports as regards to fraud Television Ratings and BARC India.
- The council has issued a statement saying it was providing the necessary assistance to the ongoing investigation by the law enforcement agency.
About TRPs (Target Rating Points)
- It is the metric used by the marketing and advertising agencies to evaluate viewership.
- Who is a viewer?: Anyone who watches television for more than a minute is considered a viewer.
- It also represents how many people, from which socio-economic categories, watched which channels for how much time during a particular period. This period is one minute as per the international standards.
The Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC India)
- BARC India as an industry body has representation from bodies that represent Broadcasters, Advertisers, and Advertising and Media Agencies.
- It owns and manages a transparent, accurate and inclusive TV audience measurement system.
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting notified the Policy Guidelines for Television Rating Agencies in India on January 10, 2014, and registered BARC in July 2015 under these guidelines, to carry out television ratings in India.
- Goal: To generate ratings that its subscribers rely on which are deeply rooted in science, report with the greatest sense of responsibility and truly reflect ‘What India Watches
Image Source: TH