News: Dr. Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge), Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region announced that Bamboo Technology Parks would be set up in the two new Union Territories of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh. More about news
- The Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre (CBTC) under North Eastern Council will implement the project, he added.
- The project for setting up three new Bamboo Technology Parks in Jammu, Srinagar and Leh would be in consonance with the National Bamboo Mission (NBM). A Bamboo Industrial Park has already been approved to be set up in the Dima Hasao district of Assam.
Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre (CBTC)
About North Eastern Council (NEC):
- CBTC was incorporated with the objective of organizing the hitherto untapped bamboo sector of NE India which is a significant occupant of its topography, culture and customary practices since time immemorial.
- Its formal existence came into being as a coordinated effort headed by North Eastern Development Finance Corporation (NEDFi) along with the Department of Science and Technology, Govt of India, UNIDO and UNDP.
- CBTC is the field implementation agency and forms a part of the Technology Management Program (TMP) which is a joint effort of Govt of India and UNDP.
- CBTC has embarked on a new phase of programmes and projects in the bamboo sector with renewed vigor under the aegis of North Eastern Council (NEC).
- It can be said that CBTC is one of core outreach programmes of NEC for giving a shift to the economy of NE in the positive direction.
- NEC was established under the North Eastern Council Act, 1971 as an apex level body for securing balanced and coordinated development and facilitating coordination with the States.
- Subsequent to the Amendment of 2002, NEC has been mandated to function as a regional planning body for the North Eastern Area and while formulating a regional plan for this area, shall give priority to the schemes and projects benefiting two or more states provided that in the case of Sikkim, the Council shall formulate specific projects and schemes for that State.
- The Union Cabinet, in June 2018, approved the proposal of Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) for the nomination of the Union Home Minister as ex-officio Chairman of North Eastern Council (NEC). The Cabinet also approved that Minister of State (Independent Charge), Ministry of DoNER would serve as Vice Chairman of the Council.
- The Governors and Chief Ministers of North Eastern States(8) will be Members.