About the Scheme
- It is a Central Sector Scheme that is aimed to improve ground water management through community participation in identified priority areas in seven States.
- It is an initiative for ensuring long term sustainability of groundwater resources in the country.
- Its implementation period is 5 years (2020-21 to 2024-25).
- The Department of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Ministry of Jal Shakti is adopting a mix of top down and bottom up approaches in identified ground water stressed blocks in seven states.
- The states are Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
ATAL JAL has two major components
- Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Building Component
It is aimed at strengthening institutional arrangements for sustainable groundwater management in the States including improving monitoring networks, capacity building, strengthening of Water User Associations, etc.
- Incentive Component for incentivising the States for achievements in improved groundwater management practices
- Active participation of local communities will ensure Source sustainability for Jal Jeevan Mission in the project area.
- Facilitate the goal of doubling the farmers' income.
- Improved water use efficiency on a mass scale and improved cropping pattern.
- Efficient and equitable use of ground water resources.