Context: The Employees' State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has extended the Scheme, Atal Beemit Vyakti Kalyan Yojana (ABVKY) till 30.06.2021.
More on the news: It has also decided to enhance the rate of relief under the scheme from present 25% of the average daily earning to 50% of average daily earning and also relax the eligibility conditions to provide relief to the workers who have become unemployed during COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Objective: The Scheme was launched in 2018 and it offers cash compensation to insured persons when they are rendered unemployed.
- The scheme is implemented on pilot basis for a period of two years initially.
- Implemented by: It is a welfare measure being implemented by the Employees State Insurance (ESI) Corporation.
- Benefits under the scheme:
- The scheme provides relief to the extent of 50% of the average per day earning during the previous four contribution periods.
- It is to be paid up to a maximum 90 days of unemployment once in the lifetime of the Insured Person.
- The claim for relief under the scheme will be payable after the three months of his/her clear unemployment.
- Employees covered under Section 2(9) of the ESI Act 1948.
- The Insured Person (IP) should have been rendered unemployed during the period the relief is claimed.
- The Insured Person should have been in insurable employment for a minimum period of two years.
- The Insured Person should have contributed not less than 78 days during each of the preceding four contribution periods.
- The contribution in respect of him should have been paid or payable by the employer.
- The contingency of the unemployment should not have been as a result of any punishment for misconduct or superannuation or voluntary retirement.
- Aadhar and Bank Account of the Insured Person should be linked with the insured person database.
- The promulgation of Employees' State Insurance Act, 1948 (ESI Act), by the Parliament was the first major legislation on social security for workers in independent India.
- The act led to the launch of ESI scheme and establishment of Employees' State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) in 1952 for implementing the scheme.
- ESIC, which comes under the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India, is a pioneer Social Security organization providing comprehensive social security benefits like reasonable Medical Care and a range of Cash Benefits in times of need such as employment injury, sickness, death etc.