Context: A Virtual ADIP Camp for free distribution of assistive aids and devices at Block level for Divyangjans under the ADIP scheme of Government of India was organized at Firozpur District in Punjab recently.
More on the news:
- This is the first camp being organized by the ALIMCO under DEPwD, M/o Social Justice and Empowerment under the ADIP Scheme of the Government of India.
- Due to Pandemic COVID-19, special measures have been taken by Government of India so that the benefit of welfare schemes for Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan) continue uninterrupted.
About Assistance to Disabled Persons(ADIP) Scheme:
To assist the needy disabled persons in procuring durable, sophisticated and scientifically manufactured, modern, standard aids and appliances.
- This will help in promoting their physical, social and psychological rehabilitation, by reducing the effects of disabilities and enhancing their economic potential.
The following agencies would be eligible to implement the Scheme on behalf of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, subject to fulfillment of laid down terms and conditions:
- Societies, registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 and their branches, if any, separately.
- Registered charitable trusts
- District Rural Development Agencies, Indian Red Cross Societies and other Autonomous Bodies.
- National/Apex Institutes including ALIMCO functioning under administrative control of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment/Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- State Handicapped Development Corporations.
- Local Bodies - Zilla Parishad, Municipalities, District Autonomous Development Councils and Panchayats.
- Hospitals registered as separate entity, as recommended by state/central government
- Nehru Yuvak Kendras.
Grant-in-aid under the Scheme will not be given for commercial supply of aids/appliances.
Eligibility of the Beneficiaries:
- He/she should be an Indian citizen of any age.
- Should be certified by a Registered Medical Practitioner that he/she is disabled and fit to use prescribed aid/appliances. Holds a 40% Disablement Certificate.
- Person who is employed/self-employed or getting pension and whose monthly income from all sources does not exceed Rs. 20,000/- per month.
- In case of dependents, the income of parents/guardians should not exceed Rs. 20,000/- per month.
- Persons who have not received assistance from the Government, local bodies and Non-Official Organisations during the last 3 years for the same purpose. However, for children below 12 years of age this limit would be 1 year.
Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO)
- ALIMCO is a not-for-profit Central Public Sector Undertaking established in 1972 and working under the administrative control of the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Government of India.
- For the past 48 years, it has been relentlessly manufacturing various types of aids and appliances on mass scale to meet the requirements of PwDs including orthopedically, visual and hearing impaired etc.