In News: The Kutchi people celebrate their Kutchi New Year on Ashadi Beej. It is the 2nd day of Shukla paksha of Ashada month of Hindu calendar (June – July).
About Ashadhi Bij:
- As for people of Kutch, this day is associated with the beginning of rains in Kutch, Gujarat.
- During Ashadhi-beej, they check the moisture in the atmosphere to help predict which crop would do best in the coming monsoon.
- Moisture in the air makes the seed and soil gain weight. If the pre-monsoon air has a lot of moisture in it, that is a fairly good indication that the season will be well.
- Kutch is largely a desert area therefore people living value rain very much.
- Ashadhi-beej is celebrated mainly at two places in India – Vishwanath temple in Varanasi, UP and Mulesh Mahadev in Umreth, Gujarat.
- Other than these Kutchi people all around the world celebrate this day.
- Coincidentally on Ashadi Beej the famous Jagannath Rath Yatra takes place in Ahmedabad and Puri.