Updated on 12 December, 2019
A.P Cabinet cleared A.P Disha Bill, 2019 (A.P Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill 2019) for awarding death penalty for offences of rape and gang-rape. The aim is to expedite the verdict in trials of such cases to 21 days.
- Death penalty for heinous offences of rape and gang-rape.
- Completion of investigation and trial in 7 and 14 working days respectively.
- Reduction in total judgement time to 21 days from the existing 4 months.
important amendments in A.P Disha Bill:
- Amends Indian Penal Code 1860 and Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.
- Harassment of women through social media or any other digital mode.
- Sentencing for two years on first conviction and four years on subsequent convictions.
- Deals with molestation and sexual assault.
- Imprisonment to be increased to a minimum of five years and a maximum of seven years.
Other key decisions of A.P Cabinet:
- Introduction of A.P Special Court for Specified Offences against Women and Children Bill, 2019.
- It deals with offences against women and children.
- Offences include- rape and gang rape, acid attack, stalking, voyeurism, sexual harassment and cases under the POCSO Act.
Recent applause of Hyderabad encounter killings by the general public has revealed how people have lost faith in due process of law because of its slow functioning. The A.P Disha Bill is an endeavour by Andhra Pradesh government to rectify this flaw in the judicial process and fast track the trials and verdicts in rape crimes to a short period of 21 days.