Context: Forest Experts believe close to 60 big cats are present in the Nagarjunasagar Srisailam Tiger Reserve (NSTR).
More on News:
- They claim improved conservation efforts by engaging locals, undertaking active surveillance by using sensor-based camera traps and ensuring 24 X7 patrolling by the personnel have led to the increase.
- However as per the recent tiger estimation census of 2018, conducted by the Wildlife Institute of India and the National Tiger Conservation Authority, Andhra Pradesh has 48 adult tigers and Telangana 26, in comparison with 68 (2014), 72 (2010) and 95 (2006).
- Out of the 3980 tigers of the world, India has approximately 75% - 2226 tigers.
About Nagarjunasagar Srisailam Tiger Reserve:
- It is the largest tiger reserve in India .
- It spreads over five districts, Kurnool District, Prakasam District, Guntur District, Nalgonda District and Mahbubnagar district in the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- The reservoirs and temples of Srisailam are major attractions for many tourists and pilgrims.
- Krishna River passes through the reserve.
Image Source: Wikipedia
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/andhra-pradesh/conservationists-elated-as-andhra-pradesh-sees-remarkable-increase-in-tiger-numbers/article32207246.ece#:~:text=The tiger is burning bright,2,226, accounts for 75%.
Image Source: The Hindu