The size of the American force in the country had dropped by 2,000 over the last year, down to roughly 12,000. Background of the issue
- The U.S. is already reducing the size of its troop force in Afghanistan despite the lack of a peace deal with the Taliban.
- The US President Donald Trump has expressed reluctance to remain engaged in costly wars abroad.
- It is in line with the demand of the general public in the United States of America.
What will be the future move of the US amid Afghanistan Peace talks?
- The US has stated that eventual force size could drop to as low as 8,600 roughly the size of an initial reduction envisioned in a draft agreement with the Taliban.
- The cancellation of talks between the US and the Taliban will further speed up the troop withdrawal.
What is the implication of troop withdrawal on the peace talks?
- The withdrawal of the American troops from Afghanistan was always the bargaining chip in the peace talks.
- The move was envisaged hoping to get some concessions from the insurgent group, which has long demanded a complete troop withdrawal.
- Hence, the current move of troop withdrawal can act as a leverage to conclude peace talks.