- The Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) was launched during 1996- 1997 to give loan assistance to the States to help them complete some of the incomplete major/medium irrigation projects.
- Such projects were at an advanced stage of completion and to create additional irrigation potential in the country.
- Grant component has been introduced in the programme from April 2004 like other Central Sector Schemes.
- The ratio of Centre Loan to States' share is 2:1 for General Category States while for Special Category States, it is 3:1.
- It includes Special Category States and Koraput, Bolangir and Kalahandi districts of Odisha.
- To accelerate construction of pending projects.
- To augment funds to states.
- To create benefits of Irrigation potential simultaneously.