Context: To provide a single platform for research internships, capacity building programs, and workshops across the country, the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) has launched a new scheme called ‘Accelerate Vigyan’ (AV).
More on the news:
- The SERB is also planning to launch an app for this in the coming two months.
- AV has already called for applications under its ‘ABHYAAS’ component for the Winter Season.
The primary objective of the AV scheme:
- To give more thrust on encouraging high-end scientific research and preparing scientific manpower, which can lead to research careers and knowledge-based economy.
- It will initiate and strengthen mechanisms of identifying research potential, mentoring, training and hands-on workshops on a national scale.
- The vision is to expand the research base, with three broad goals, namely,
- Consolidation / aggregation of all scientific programs,
- Initiating high-end orientation workshops, and
- Creating opportunities for research internships for those who do not have access to such resources / facilities.
- The AV will work on mission mode, particularly with respect to its component dealing with consolidation / aggregation of all major scientific events in the country.
- Thus, an Inter-Ministerial Overseeing Committee (IMOC) involving all the scientific ministries/departments and a few others has been constituted for the purpose of supporting SERB in implementing the AV scheme in a successful manner.
- The scheme also seeks to garner the social responsibility of the scientific community in the country.
- In a nutshell, the AV platform is expected to be a game changer for developing career paths and providing support to catalogue the development of skilled man-power.
- Another new component under AV is ‘SAMMOHAN’ that has been sub-divided into ‘SAYONJIKA’ and ‘SANGOSHTI’.
- SAYONJIKA is an open-ended program to catalogue the capacity building activities in science and technology supported by all government funding agencies in the country.
- SANGOSHTI is a pre-existing program of SERB.
About ‘ABHYAAS’ programme:
- It is an attempt to boost research and development in the country by enabling and grooming potential PG/PhD students by means of developing their research skills in selected areas across different disciplines or fields.
- It has two components: High-End Workshops (‘KARYASHALA’) and Research Internships (‘VRITIKA’).
- This is especially important for those researchers who have limited opportunities to access such learning capacities / facilities / infrastructure.
- The current call for applications invites researchers for the winter season ‘KARYASHALA’ and ‘VRITIKA’.
Image Source: PIB
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
- One of the most notable developments in the S&T sector in the XI Plan has been the setting up of the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) through an Act of Parliament, viz. the Science and Engineering Research Board Act, 2008.
- Promoting basic research in Science and Engineering and to provide financial assistance to persons engaged in such research, academic institutions, research and development laboratories, industrial concerns and other agencies.
- SERB aims to build up best management systems which would match the best global practices in the area of promotion and funding of basic research.